Whistle-stop tour of the Old Testament
Old Testament contents can be divided into four main areas:
· Torah: 5books of Moses, Torah, Torat, Pentateuch. Books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy – the Law (creation …people about to enter the land promised to them)
· Prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi. Prophecy (people get into promised land – great hope and expectation …have to leave promised land as not honouring God – hopelessness)
· History: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah.
· Songs: Psalms, Proverbs
Old Testament shows God’s plan for salvation to save us from consequences of our rebellion.
Central themes-covenant promises to Abraham, Moses and David:
- God’s covenant with Abraham – Promising land, blessings, relationship with God and people (descendants) – unconditionally to all
- God’s covenant with Moses – promising land, blessings, relationship with God and people (descendants), plus holiness (blessing/ curses) – conditional on obedience
- God’s covenant with David – promising land, blessings, relationship with God and people (descendants), plus a shepherd (king), and eternal rule (a dwelling for God) – unconditionally available to all